Thursday, April 29, 2021

Explaining and Analysing my Musical Choices For my Two Tracks.

Obsolete Commiserations

The structure of this song is:

Intro
Verse
Bridge
Verse
Bridge
Middle 8
Chorus/Resolve

 The last section, incorporates lyrics and a similar melody from the second bridge section. I wanted to end the song like this, because I felt it was the perfect resolve for it. By starting it off with part of a melody/lyrics you have already heard, it gives a nice sense of familiarity to the listener whilst also surprising/intriguing them to listen further when they notice it is not entirely the same. One of my favourite bands, CREEPER, do this kind of a thing a lot with their melodies, where at the end of a song they will have a resolving section which hovers nicely on chords you have heard before, usually being the chorus ones. This can be seen in the song Lie Awake (Gould, Miles, 2015). However, as this song doesn't particularly have a chorus I felt it would make sense to take it from a small section you only hear once to make it less repetitive. I end the song by introducing another melody over the top of the one I am already singing. By overlapping two melodies I am bringing out the sense of chaos and confusion I am trying to convey. 

Through this song I am showing that I have improved my knowledge/ability to record myself, as I had never done a recording before this song. So far, my process is coming along nicely, I have finished recording the song and now I only have to do the final mixing/production to make it sound the best I can.

Whats The Matter With You?

The structure of this song is:
 
Intro
Verse x2
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
End Resolve

After writing the melody for this song, I felt as if the verse sounded familiar to me. After searching my brain for a while, I remembered that this was because I had subconsciously taken part of a melody in a chorus of a song I listen to, but changed it around a little bit to create my own melody. This is actually a technique that can be referred to as 'Foraging and Forging' where you deconstruct someone else's melody line and change it a little bit to then use in your own song.
The song I unintentionally mirrored was Last Of The Small Town Playboys (Barât, C. 2006) by Dirty Pretty Things. The first three notes in the chorus of this song are the same as the ones I used for my verse, however my song is in a different key. Furthermore, their song doesn't have call and response in it, and I used similar notes in the walk down melody line the backing vocals are singing, but they are not the same as the melody in the song, so I believe what I have written is different enough to not be seen as plagiarism.

Through this song I am showing my ability to perform live. Unfortunately, due to being short on time and poor time management towards the start of the term, I had only just finished writing this song the day of the performance, and due to this, I still wasn't familiar with what I was singing/playing on the guitar so my performance was not the best. However, I have learnt from this process, and net time I would make sure that I have finished the song and rehearsed it sufficiently before the day of the final performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

References

Barât, C. (2006)  Last Of The Small Town Playboys.  London:   Mercury Records Limited. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...