Thursday, April 29, 2021

Whats The Matter With You - Finishing the Song and Analysing my Lyrical Choices

I have re-written the song twice now, here is the second draft to the lyrics:


I took these lyrics to my lesson and as no one else was in I got the opportunity to re-write the lyrics again and figure out an ending to my track with the help of my teacher, Hannah.

Heres a picture of it written out and then I will write the lyrics out digitally to make it easier to understand/read.
 I changed the lyrics throughout the song to not use the pronouns 'you' as I felt as if it focused too much on direct communication rather than setting the scene. This is also because I found it quite repetitive and I though that it fitted the song better to use descriptive words in place of saying something like "I need you", because I feel it made the emotion I wanted to get across a lot clearer. It was also because, after hearing myself sing it in our first run through, I thought it sounded a bit off so I went for something different.

I also changed the pronouns in the chorus from 'me/I' to 'they/you' because most of the time, in my writing, I do not tend to like to sing too much in the first person as I feel it can make it sound self-indulgent when you're talking about things. furthermore I wanted this song to feel less about me and more about things/people in general to try and take it away from the norm thereby potentially making it more relatable. 

In the middle 8, I changed the last line from "their mistakes are kept secret", to "show your face, its no secret." this is because again, I felt it portrayed and communicated my message better. This is because the song is about how there are so many people out there who will try to pretend they are there for you and how this can cause a feeling of disassociation but also anger. And I feel as if this song focuses more on the irony within people always asking you what the matter is (hence the repetition of 'whats the matter with you') just because they want to know it doesn't involve them, and I find this selfish. At the end of every phrase in the verse, I repeat a line but change it very subtly, it goes from 'a feeling I don't know' to 'a feeling in my bones' to 'a feeling in your mind' to then finally end in the resolve on ' it's a feeling I don't mind'. 

The reason why I have done this is because it is the perfect representation of those negative feelings I am talking about creeping into my or your subconscious, it is such a subtle change but its noticeable if you look closely, which is exactly how the feelings can creep up on you till you no longer even question why they are there and almost have to come to accept it in order to be able to live in peace and carry on with your life. This is why it ends with saying 'its a feeling I don't mind', because by that point, after being mistreated by so many people, you are so used to the feeling of being misplaced in the world that you are okay with it.

This song can also be interpreted in a different way if you aim it at yourself and the self-defeating emotions that run through your head. In this sense, the 'what's the matter with you?' is a question to yourself and all the descriptive words throughout the verses are being directed at your own mental nightmares. I think this interpretation fits the song very well too, as all the adjectives I use in the lyrics can be aimed at those feelings. For example, you could call these type of negative thought patterns 'Obnoxious imposters' as you do not want them there but they tend to hang around. Also, 'Infected, disrespected' can also be applied in a similar way, as negative thoughts and feelings tend to be contagious to humans and lead us to feel like were loosing it, hence it being followed by the line 'they lost it'.



Verse
Ten People (Whats the matter with you?)
Repeating (Whats the matter with you?)
Mistaken (Whats the matter with you?)
A feeling I don't know.

Infected (Whats the matter with you?)
Disrespected (Whats the matter with you?)
They lost it (Whats the matter with you?)
A feeling in my bones.

Chorus
When they see you
You're hiding your face in your hands
Like rain falling through a stream
Your brain falls apart
Do you know what to do with yourself?
Or just wondering where the times go?

Verse 2
Obnoxious (Whats the matter with you?)
Imposters (Whats the matter with you?)
They'll eat you (Whats the matter with you?)
A feeling in my mind.

Chorus 2 (same lyrics as first one)

Middle 8
People these days
Dissipate to a state in the stars
Show your face
It's no secret, secret, secret, secret...

End Resolve 
Its a feeling I don't mind
(Whats the matter with you) x8

No comments:

Post a Comment

References

Barât, C. (2006)  Last Of The Small Town Playboys.  London:   Mercury Records Limited. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...