Thursday, March 11, 2021

Reflecting on formative feedback.

 Here is a link to the demo version of my first track I handed in for the formative assessment:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wc6Zeynf5vJbGQVp4JJQcdsDHxUzz8SZ/view?usp=sharing 

This version was super unfinished as I ran out of time before the hand in, however it made a good first draft for my ideas. There is a lot of off harmony in this first draft, this was due to the fact that I couldn't figure out how to delete sections off of a multitrack recording, as this is the first time I have recorded myself in Logic Pro X. I was also running so short on time, so I decided to hand it in anyway. As a singer, I am familiar with how harmonies work and when they are dissonant, and I would not have handed in a composition with such mistakes if I had had more time to fix them. I also couldn't figure out how to set the levels on my microphone properly, so my vocal recording came our really quiet. All of these things are areas where I can develop my skills, and I am going to do so by using Logic Pro X in my free time more in order to become familiar with the software.

In my feedback, it was mentioned that my melody writing mostly moves in unison with the guitar, and that maybe I would benefit from looking into how vocal melodies in other songs interact with the guitars; often, in music, both instruments talk to each other through different melodies. However, after my feedback mentioning that my melodies tend to be in sync with the guitar, I started noticing that most of the music I listen to does the exact same thing, so I have also have been listening out for what other elements they add in to compliment their synchronised movement. I noticed how a lot of the songs I listen to are complimented by a lead guitar part, and/or with a funky bass line to keep you interested. Alternatively, sometimes they just move in sync as this is the intention of the song. It depends what genre/feel you are trying to create.

Here are a few examples I found where this was happening:

  • 'The Drum' (Toledo, 2011) by Car seat headrest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bEUUb9XA9w&ab_channel=ClaphamJunction

Notice how during the main hook/chords it starts with the guitar and the vocals move downwards in sync, and this is similar for the rest of the song. This can be particularly heard in the middle 8 (around 2:15mins in) where he sings "this is our lifetime and I am his creator". All other instruments drop out for a few bars until the drums and bass come in again to create a small build up where the vocals then come in directly mirroring the guitar chords with a more complicated rhythm to keep it interesting.

  • 'Allergies' (Gould, Miles, 2015) by CREEPER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPx4AVTqVEU
The main guitar riff throughout the whole song echoes the vocal melody and a lot of the time is moving in sync with the vocals. Then, in the chorus a lead guitar part consisting of broken chords comes in to add that extra bit of sparkle a chorus needs to make it sound fuller.

At first, I felt aggravated by the feedback I got, as it only mentioned things I already knew I had to change/were wrong in the track. However, I went to have a chat with my course leader and upon calming down I realised that my tutor had only stated these things as she had to incase I wasn't aware of them. If this situation arose again, I would look at it more positively and/or try to hand in a more finished piece of work in order to get better feedback, however this was only the formative assignment so that is okay.

For the summative assignment, I am going to make sure all of my harmonies are in tune and that all elements in the song can be heard and, most importantly, that it is finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment

References

Barât, C. (2006)  Last Of The Small Town Playboys.  London:   Mercury Records Limited. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...